Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Readings, Thoughts, Project Plan!

I've been doing a lot of reading over the past week on the following topics:

  • Translation management - i18n & l10n.
  • Spring Framework.
  • Current Java i18n/l10n solutions.
  • ACS-Lang by OpenACS.


In my readings I came across encoding, which I hadn't yet considered. It looks like it shouldn't be a problem because everything should support UTF-8 which will cover all the characters required. I will probably devote at least a small section of the final thesis document to encoding as it is both relevant to the topic and interesting.

Other difficulties that I hadn't previously considered also arose:

  • Versioning - what happens when the core text changes?
  • Left to Right text!!
  • Text on images.
  • The importance of tracking the author and the translation history of the text.
  • Nuances in languages, different ordering of sentences.


These considerations are going to factor heavily on what limitations I put on the scope of the project.

My proposed solution, 'very' broadly will be to develop a webapp similar to that of the ACS-lang demonstration but using Java/Spring. These design should be such that the translation management objects are independent and can be used in other projects. Unfortunately, I'm still not 100% clear how I'll actually go about the design at this stage.

Project Plan due Friday 1st Aug!
Structure will be as follows:
  • Title & Project Brief
  • Description of Project
  • Introduction
  1. What is Spring?
  2. What is internationalisation?
  3. What is localisation?
  • Overview of relevant research
  1. OpenACS solution
  2. Existing Java solutions
  3. Other research
  4. Questions raised by research and my thoughts
  • Proposed procedure
  • Timetable
  • Bibliography

No comments: